POLL: Are you interested in EndNote for Linux?

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:12:32 EST 1998

On 2 Oct 1998 09:34:04 GMT,
    Chris Boyd (chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk) wrote:

>The easy solution is to have a dual boot system, with a small partition
>for Windows/Word/EndNote etc. and a large Linux one for serious
>computing. After all, running (eg) WordPerfect on top of Linux is
>scarcely different from running it on top of Windows, apart from the
>yuk factor. I am a strong advocate for Linux, but the reality is that
>most software vendors will aim for the Windows market as long as it has
>a stranglehold. Why fight it? Linux is free -- so you can have two
>operating systems for the price of one and enjoy the benefits of both.

There is at least other alternative to this.  I don't like a dual-boot
system, have taken the time to learn one word-processor (Word 6.0) and
do not wish to learn another.  I use WABI under Linux, and thus run those
those 16-bit Windows applications I need to use directly under Linux.
WABI is inexpensive and works very well.  There are also indications
that RedHat Software (a Linux vendor) and Insignia are actively pursuing
a port of SoftWindows95 to Linux.  I imagine that NetScape's and Intel's
recent investment in RedHat will only aid this process.

later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.