Q: Rasmol in Linux: X Error

berkeley at writeme.com berkeley at writeme.com
Mon Oct 12 20:44:05 EST 1998

Hello,

I first want to thank Rimantas Plaipa and Arne Mueller for helping me on the
installation
problem that I had yesterday.
I downloaded the modified rasmol by Arne from
ftp://nexus.roko.goe.net/pub/rasmol
For me, this is exactly what I wanted because I use POVray a lot to make
animations of
polymers.

After installing the program, I get an error message like this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
23 % rasmol
RasMol Molecular Renderer
Roger Sayle, August 1995
Arne Mueller, Mai 1998
Version 2.6x1
[8bit version]

RasMol> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
resource denied)  Major opcode of failed request:  129 (MIT-SHM)  Minor
opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)  Serial number of failed
request:  624  Current serial number in output stream:	625 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before printing this error message, a gray window briefly appears and
dissappears. I read a whole chapter on Xwindows, but still couldn't find a
solution to this problem. I also tried Roger Sayles original Rasmol 2.6b2 but
it showed a similar message. Does anybody know what is wrong with my machine?
(DEC alpha running Red Hat 5.1)

Thanks
Sung-Joo Lee