Time for Moderation in this group?

Francois Jeanmougin pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Oct 14 09:08:06 EST 1998

In article <NLe*eCsIn at news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
	timc at chiark.greenend.org.uk (Tim Cutts) writes:

> Also, it increases the volume of NNTP traffic, not decreases it.  This
> means:

	Spambot increases feed volume, but not cleanfeed, which highly
decrease the trafic by simply rejecting articles. But cleanfeed
uses CPU time. It's a choice.

> I have seen recent figures suggesting that 40% of NNTP traffic is
> spam, and a further 40% is the spam-bot generated cancel messages,
> leaving only 20% genuine articles.  For this reason a large number of
> spam bot sites have given up.

	That's right, one year ago, it was 33/33/33 and now it
is around 40/40/20 on regular servers but 10/10/80 on
cleanfeed using servers.

> Moderation is a solution which does not
> penalise people on mailing lists and those on low bandwidth sites.

	Yes, but it takes time to moderate a big newsgroup.
As a moderator of some of the fr.* newsgroups, I know what
this means...

					François.
--
François Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France