Help with PHYLIP

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Mon Oct 26 01:32:58 EST 1998

In article <70tduu$2o9$1 at supernews.com>, Caddie <caddie at iname.net> wrote:
>Anyone out there know how to annotate the 'plotfile' in PHYLIP.  I can print
>my trees just fine, I just cannot add title to the figures and insert the
>bootstrap percentages.  Ideally, I would love to be able to save it as a new
>file which I could open in another program and augment there.

Sure.  The "plotfile" is produced by Drawtree and Drawgram, the programs that
draw pictures of trees.  Those programs do not draw a scale on the picture nor
do they write bootstrap percentages, or branch length numbers, next to the
branches.

If you want to do so, use the numbers you get from the "outfile" of the
appropriate program, and choose Postscript or PICT, or PCX, from the
menu for final plotter device in Drawtree or Drawgram.  Then use a
drawing program such as CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, Freehand,
or Canvas to read in the plotfile, annotate it, and print it.

This is, by the way, a Frequently Asked Question in the FAQ file for
PHYLIP which will be found at

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/faq.html

Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu