Looking for a Contact Manager

David Dean bainesdean at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 30 03:02:31 EST 1998

I'm looking for a program with simple, but very specific capabilities.  I'd
like to be able to keep a daily journal with: notes from phone
conversations, notes from discussions at social events, notes about
research, as well as appointments and thoughts regarding them when they're
over.  That much is simple.  However, the catch is, I need the program to
include a Contact Manager that will cross refference with the Journal.
Every contact's name from the contact list that is included in a day's
journal entry would automatically convert to a hyperlink providing me an
immediate jump between my contact's information and my journal entry where I
mentioned that contact.

This means that I can go to a specific date in my journal and see all notes
about events and conversations and activities that took place on that date,
or I can go to a specific contact in the Contact Manager and, in addition to
their standard info (Name, Phone, Fax, E-mail, Birthday, Spouce, Children,
etc) I need a section that will indicate those dates on which this contact's
name was included in my Journal.  Prefferably, the dates would be
hyperlinks, so I could click on any one of them to immediately read my note
that included their name.  To get really fancy, the program would have an
option to include the first 1,2,3,4 or 5 words in the Journal entry found
after or before the contact name.  A button in the Journal area toolbar that
would take me back to the contact would be great as well.

The need is simple.  My business involves dealing with contacts on the
phone, at meetings, as well as at various social events.  Often I feel the
need to notate my conversations and experiences with my contacts.  This
proves handy when I see or speak with them sometime later, as I have a
records of our last encounter.  The problem is, when I'm about to make a
phone call, I don't want to have to try to remember when it was that I last
communicated with that contact and look it up to have this information at my
finger tips.

If the program allowed faxing, e-mailing and templates for letters and kept
these with the contact as well, that would be a great extra, but the
journal/contact cross refference is the function that I can't seem to find
anywhere.  Microsoft Word 97 will automatically create a hyperlink when you
type an email or web address.  My program, would do the same, but only with
names that it recognized from my contact list.

Some programs come close, but everything I've found so far requires that the
notes be written specifically on the contact's page where his phone number
and other info is kept.  Maximizer will allow a routine when you make a call
to jot down notes and keep them with the contact.  But nothing I've found
will let you just freely wriote in a journal and keep track of who you
mention there and when you mentioned them.

Long winded post, sorry, but I'm desperate.
Can anyone offer any solutions besides taking a programming class? E-mail me
if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks in advance, David