Screensaver aids cancer fight

Richard P. Grant rpg14 at yahoo.co.uk.invalid
Mon Apr 9 05:42:55 EST 2001

In article <B6F32AE7.3205E%mbb8n at virginia.edu>, Michael Black
<mbb8n at virginia.edu> wrote:

> I don't believe that UD has ever tried to obscure the fact they are a
> for-profit company, or the fact that other for-profit corporations are
> partners in the cancer project (and their project using HMMER as well).

The point is that this is not made clear (I didn't see it when I trawled
around looking for clients), and the implication is that my cycles are
being used to make money for someone else.  So they are selling my
cycles, and I make nothing.

> I run Linux and MacOS at home but you can't deny the fact that for anyone
> targeting unused cpu cycles on predominantly home and school machines,
> you
> must target Windows from the very start - it is the numerically prominent
> platform out there).

Oh sure, numerically important.  But if you're serious about this - and
with 55 employees, then there's no excuse not to grab the fast beasts,
too.  Not to mention the numerically prominent platforms in academic
institutions which may have an interest in the project . . .

--
Richard P. Grant                                      MRC Lab of Mol Biol
rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk    http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/

---