Primer design software: any PC/windows analog of "Amplify"?

Richard Williams rdwillia at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 08:35:26 EST 2002

>>Patrick wrote:
>>> Hi, I wonder if there are any primer design software on the PC/windows
>>> platform that has similar straightforward features like "Amplify" by
>>> Bill Engels. I love the layout of Amplify to display possible PCR
>>> products while in other programs I know you cannot see them all in a
>>> single window. Thanks.

For what it's worth, Amplify (even version 2) will run on the Basilisk II
Mac emulator under Windows (or Linux, etc.). You'll need a ROM image from
a 68k Mac to make it work (though buying a secondhand Mac to obtain one
is likely to be much cheaper than a commercial primer design package for
Windows!), plus a copy of the MacOS (older versions are still downloadable
from Apple).

Links:

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html
http://basilisk2.cjb.net/