IUBio GIL .. BIOSCI/Bionet News .. Biosequences .. Software .. FTP

Problems with number of results: SRS-EBI compared to SRS-DDBJ

Thomas Schäfer tstheo at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Mon Nov 29 16:33:35 EST 1999

Thank you for your answer. I tried the SRS at CBR and, like you, I got 7080
entries when specifying GenBank as source. But when I specified EMBL I found 6513
entries - and this is what I wanted to know: Why doesn't SRS for libs = embl find
all entries? The combination of embl and embl-new leads to  7195 entries (Query
"[libs={embl emblnew}-Organism: Hepatitis C virus*] " found 7195 entries).
Some of these are wrong as for instance AccNr AJ011624 (Arabidopsis thaliana).

The same happens with all SRS-systems which allow embl as library. I have to give
a report about the databases Embl, DDBJ and GenBank; especially I have to compare
the retrieval systems (such as Entrez and  SRS) and while doing this I was
surprised at the different number of entries I got as result for "hepatitis c
virus" when specifying embl or Genbank/DDBJ.

Once again thank you - I will go on and perhaps I will find out.

Thomas Schaefer

More information about the Bio-srs mailing list

Send comments to us at archive@iubioarchive.bio.net