[Bio-www] free online life sciences education resource update 08/13/14

Mark Lasbury via bio-www%40net.bio.net (by lasburymark1 from hotmail.com)
Wed Aug 13 09:00:30 EST 2014

=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
Good morning=2C=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
Is there any life on=0A=
Earth that could escape to space on its own? How can flamingo make them pin=
k=0A=
when the food they eat isn=92t pink? Is there a minimum size for life? How =
does a=0A=
shrimp kill with sound? =0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
These are some of the recent questions we have addressed on=0A=
a free online resource developed to increase learner engagement and educato=
r=0A=
content knowledge. =93As Many Exceptions As Rules=94 tells the stories of o=
rganisms=0A=
that break biological rules or norms in order to survive and thrive. Throug=
h=0A=
these stories=2C the core concepts of the science are reinforced.=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
The resource can be accessed at :   http://biologicalexceptions.blogspot.co=
m=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
Posted weekly=2C each story includes pertinent vocabulary with=0A=
etymology=2C interesting questions to spark discussion=2C links to the repo=
rts from=0A=
the latest research on the subject being discussed=2C and a list of online=
=0A=
resources for more information and classroom activities.=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
Upcoming stories will=0A=
talk about why it=92s so hard to catch or swat a fly and how it is that we =
can=0A=
get cooking oils from low fat plants. We will then begin to investigate the=
=0A=
bacterial flagella and the eukaryotic cilia =96 they can control movement=
=2C=0A=
reproduction=2C and body symmetry.=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
If you wish to receive weekly e-mail notifications of new=0A=
posts=2C reply to the sender individually.=0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
 =0A=
=0A=
Mark E. Lasbury=2C MS=2C MSEd=2C PhD=0A=
=0A=
Indiana University School of Medicine=0A=
=0A=
IUPUI School of Education=0A=
=0A=
lasburymark1 from hotmail.com=0A=