Metaphase spreads

HK hk-miami at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 16 21:08:34 EST 1995

In <45thot$hl7 at clus1.ulcc.ac.uk> "g.coulton" <g.coulton at cxwms.ac.uk>
writes:

>Thanks for all your helpful e-mails regarding my request for methods
for
>making metaphase sreads. It would, of course, have helped if I had
added
>that I am working both with human and mouse cells!
>
>Thanks once again in advance.
>
>Gary Coulton

You can do mouse cells the same way as human.  Just experiment around
abit with colcemid and hypotonic treatment times.  If you are using
human probes with the mouse chromosomes, you may want to reduce the
stringency a bit, but I find that this also increases background, and
have usually had good results using the same stringency conditions as
for human probes on human chromosomes.

Are you using fibroblast cultures or lymphocytes?

Helene