* transloc chrom help please

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Sun Jun 23 15:22:26 EST 1996

I support Dr. Mercer's comments below.

 Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "Seeing much, Suffering much,
 University of California, San Francisco   and studying much,
 School of Medicine                        These are the three pillars
 Program in Medical Genetics               of learning." -- Benjamin Disraeli

Simon Mercer (mercer at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de) wrote:
: Mr. P.F. Linehan wrote:
: >
: > In article <4pi13t$791 at dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> hk-miami at ix.netcom.com(HK) writes:
: > .>In <4pbtu5$sfc at newsbf02.news.aol.com> kabass at aol.com (KABass) writes:
: > .>>
: > .>>I am writing on behalf of a frightened, pregnant friend of mine who's
: > .>>fetus has a balanced translocated chromosome (breaks at 7 Q34 and 13
: > .>Q12).
: > .>> Her genetic counselor has not been much help.  Neither parent shows
: > .>the
: > .>>trait.
: > .>>
: > .>>She's found recorded evidence of abnormality with translocations at 7
: > .>Q32
: > .>>and & 7 Q36.  She's been told that even if a translocation identical
: > .>>hers had been found in a past study, the researcher would only have
: > .>>published results if an abnormality had resulted.
:
: I know I can't control what people write here, but as I have said
: before:
:
: We don't know any of the medical background to this case
:
: We don't know who is asking, or why
:
: They don't know the credentials of the people who answer their questions
:
: -- for all of these reasons, please THINK before posting replies! if you
: know something (or think you do: you don't know the case) then you may
: be breaking medical confidentiality. If you are wrong then you may be
: causing needless upset to someone, or at least giving them the wrong
: idea. In any case, someone's real-life anxiety should not be made the
: subject of speculation and debate.
:
: In my opinion, this woman should be counselled by a qualified
: professional; if she is not satisfied with the treatment she gets from
: her current doctor or genetic counsellor, she can ask to be referred
: elsewhere. There really is no alternative if she wants reliable
: information.
:
: If anyone disagrees with this posting, feel free to mail me directly.
:
: Simon
:
: (PS; my 'Dr' is 'Ph.D', not medical)