[Employment] (no subject)

news via biojobs%40net.bio.net (by news from fx08.iad.highwinds-media.com)
Sun May 18 09:48:23 EST 2014

Bioinformatician Programmer – Edinburgh Genomics, University of
Edinburgh, UK

Edinburgh Genomics is a thriving, high impact, international genomics
facility based at the University of Edinburgh, providing access to the
latest next-generation sequencing, SNP genotyping, microarray and
bioinformatics technologies to researchers worldwide. The facility is
the second largest in the UK, with a turnover in excess of £3 million
per year. Using our state of the art data generation and analysis
equipment, we collaborate with research teams to enable leading-edge
genomics research in all areas of the biomedical, agricultural and
environmental sciences. Edinburgh Genomics is very much a research
facility, and we pride ourselves on trialling and implementing new
technologies as quickly as we can. Edinburgh Genomics offers now for the
Bioinformatics group the following post:

Bioinformatician Programmer (Vacancy Ref: 029429)
We are seeking a skilled Programmer to join our growing Bioinformatics
team. The post-holder will have core responsibilities in building and
maintaining the underpinning workflows that assure timely and accurate
processing of all raw data that is produced at Edinburgh Genomics.

Main Responsibilities
- Developing, implementing and maintaining high-quality pipelines for
the processing of large quantities of next-generation sequencing data.
- Developing robust, scalable and secure integrated solutions to
high-throughput processing using the facility's high-performance data
store and computing installation.
- To implement new pipelines, improve existing ones and integrate them
with the facility Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
working in close collaboration with laboratory staff and bioinformaticians.
- Providing training to facility bioinformaticians and other scientists
in the use of data processing pipelines and LIMS integration.
- Keeping comprehensive, high-quality and up to date records of tasks
performed and reporting to the Edinburgh Genomics Head of Bioinformatics
and Bioinformatics Operations Manager.

Essential requirements and skills
- Graduate qualifications in informatics, bioinformatics or computing
applied to biological questions, at least to MSc level.
- A high level of programming skill and several years of demonstrable
experience in programming, particularly in Python, Perl and Shell scripting.
- Experience and knowledge of good software engineering practice,
including use of version control systems (e.g. SVN, Git) and
implementation of unit tests.
- Experience working in Linux clusters computing environments with job
queue systems like SGE.
- Good interpersonal skills and efficient time and project management
skills.

The following aspects will be favourably regarded:
- Experience in bioinformatics programming applied to genomics problems.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequence data.
- Experience with SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
- Experience with Javascript, jquery and development of web services
using REST.

Application Procedure
For more information regarding job description, requirements, conditions
and how to apply you should go to:
https://www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.jobspec?p_id=029429
This allows you to do the application on line and submit a CV and other
attachments.

The closing date is 5pm GMT on 27 May 2014.