killing adults

paul kayne kayne at caltech.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:32:41 EST 1994

In article <1C999B65380 at charon.biochem.wisc.edu>
FERGUSON at BIOCHEM.WISC.EDU writes:

> I am wondering if there is any chemical or physical procedure I could
> use to kill adult worms without killing embryos.  I am trying to isolate
> a large quantity (from liquid) of homozygous deficiency embryos.  I
> would like to avoid bleach treatment if possible since even short bleach
> treatments will kill a fraction of the embryos and contaminate my prep.
>
> Thanks-
> Kim Ferguson

i have succesfully used nytex filters to obtain specific stages. the
exact condition depend on the particular strain, but embryos will go
through a 15 um filter and adults won't. it would be helpful to do this
with synchronized cultures, as it is sometimes difficult to separate
adjacent stages.

also a preselection can be useful, that is a 1 X g spin - putting all
the worms in M9 in an orange cap tube and letting them sit for 2-10
minutes. adults will sink much faster than other stages.

paul kayne
kayne at caltech.edu