I have been asked by some undergraduates here to speak briefly about what
it's like to go to graduate school in biology. Therefore I am making an
informal survey of all you worm folks about programs you are currently
associated with. I would be grateful for any responses answering the
following questions (if you can spare only a minute just answer the "short
form." If you are willing to spend longer please answer any or all of the
additional questions following them.
If folks are interested in a summary, I'd be willing to post compiled results.
Respondents need not be "official," grad student comments are strongly
1. Name of program (Dept/Program and institution)
2. Average time for PhD
3. Stipend amount/length of 'guaranteed' or likely support
4. Lab rotations? yes/no, length and number
5. Coursework requirements?
6. Qualifying exams? i.e., number and type
7. Work outside department/program possible?
8. Acceptance rate of applicants? (actual number or description, ie "highly
9. Misc admissions requirements? GRE, Advanced GRE test (eg Biology),
amount of undergrad coursework, undergrad research required.
Curtis M. Loer
Dept. of Biology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
619-260-4129 (leave voice messages here)
cloer at acusd.eduhttp://www.acusd.edu/~cloer/