Cell Breaker

Ernst-Bernhard Kayser ebk at po.cwru.edu
Thu Dec 28 13:13:03 EST 2000

Hi,

has anyone ever tried to homogenize C. elegans by vigorous shaking
with glass beads? We wonder whether it is worthwhile to try a
contraption like the Micro Cell-Breaker produced by GlenMills or a
similar device.
Our goal is to isolate intact mitochondria. The methods to initially
disrupt the worms we tried so far (sand with mortar/pestle,
Frenchpress, Polytron, Potter-Elvehjem) are all less than perfect.
Many worms, especially small larvae, survive these treatments.
Any relevant comment is welcome. Thanks

Bernhard

Ernst-Bernhard Kayser (Ph.D.)
Dept. Anesthesiology, Case Western Reserve University
School of Medicine, Room W136
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106 - 4927
U.S.A.