IUBio GIL .. BIOSCI/Bionet News .. Biosequences .. Software .. FTP

Question about the legal use of PCR

nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 28 02:53:44 EST 2000

Cool beans!  Thanks for giving me the lead... I found Roche's site and
will contact those guys and see what happens (??)


On 25 Aug 2000 09:28:43 +0100, news at eeyore.ins.cwru.edu
[mailto:news at eeyore.ins.cwru.edu] On wrote:

>Hello again,
>    I happened to be browsing Roche's USA site and ran across an address
>where you can get their licensing info.  I expect the info to be the same
>PCR use in the UK as well as the USA.  Here's the quote from one of their
>pages: "Further information on purchasing licenses to practice the PCR
>process may be obtained by contacting the Director of Licensing at the
>Perkin-Elmer Corporation, 850 Lincoln Center Drive, Foster City,
>California 94404 or at Roche Molecular Systems, Inc., 1145 Atlantic Avenue,
>Alameda, California 94501."
>Good Luck!!!
>owner-diagnost at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply.  I would have expected the royalty would be
>> paid through the purchase of taq, but wasn't sure about the PCR
>> technique.  I'm a little surprised that the amplification of dna has a
>> pattent, even in the 'home made' sense!!
>> I'll contact our institution's legal counsel.
>> Thanks
>> Brian
>> On 22 Aug 2000 14:14:15 +0100, news at pale-rider.ins.cwru.edu
>> [mailto:news at pale-rider.ins.cwru.edu] wrote:
>> >
>> >Roche owns most, if not all, of the patents for PCR.  Although some of
>> >the
>> >patents have been in litigation for the past year or two, I believe that
>> >Roche
>> >is still collecting royalties from those labs that continue to use the
>> >technique.  When I worked for a clinical lab that was using "homebred"
>> >PCR
>> >protocols we had to pay a royalty to Roche even though we were not using
>> >their
>> >kits and reagents..
>> >
>> >I'm not a legal authority, and I encourage you to consult one (i.e., if
>> >you
>> >belong to an academic institution you should talk to your institution's
>> >legal
>> >counsel), but I would expect that you would have to obtain the license
>> >and pay
>> >the royalty.
>> >
>> >nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk, [mailto:nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk], On, Behalf, Of
>> >wrote:
>> >
>> >> Can someone tell me if the PCR technique (?? taq-polymerase) can be
>> >> used in a plant disease diagnostic lab at a university without a
>> >> liscense?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Brian
>> >>
>> >> ---
>> >


More information about the Diagnost mailing list

Send comments to us at archive@iubioarchive.bio.net