Greetings GenBank Users,
A software problem related to GenBank Update processing occurred
during the first weekend of December, 2002. As a result, all
non-EST and non-GSS were excluded from several days worth of
incremental GenBank Updates.
This problem was resolved on Tuesday, December 12th, and a manual
run of the GbUpdate system was performed.
Unfortunately, the pre-existing nc1210 update files (containing
only EST and GSS sequences) which had been installed on our FTP
site at 03:38:29 EST were then overwritten by the results of the
And the manual run did not itself contain those EST/GSS sequences,
because the timestamp used for the EST/GSS dump had been rolled
forward (due to the fact that the original 1210 processing had
been considered "successful").
So, we have made a supplemental update file available, containing
just the EST/GSS sequences from the original 1210 update:
If you obtained an 'original' nc1210 update file between 03:38 EST
and 14:30 EST on 12/10/2002 :
You need to process the 'new' nc1210 update files
on our FTP site. Even though the file names are the
same as others you may have already processed.
If you did not obtain the nc1210 update files until *after*
14:30 EST on 12/10/2002 :
You need to process the 'supplemental' nc1210
files listed above (nc1210*supp*) .
We have modified our software and our procedures, so that
manual executions of GbUpdate processing will not overwrite
previously existing files on the NCBI FTP site.
We regret any inconvenience that this GbUpdate error may have
- GenBank newsgroup see: http://www.bio.net/hypermail/genbankb/
- GENBANKB e-mail: messages sent to genbankb at net.bio.net
- subscribe: e-mail biosci-server at net.bio.net with: subscribe genbankb
- unsub: e-mail biosci-server at net.bio.net with: unsubscribe genbankb
- GenBank on the WWW, see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Genbank/
- problems with GENBANKB? E-mail moderator: francis at cmmt.ubc.ca