Where to obtain oligosaccharide portion of gangliosides?

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Wed Feb 22 17:42:11 EST 1995

For our crystallographic work on cholera toxin and related bacterial toxins
we need to have soluble fragments of the toxin receptors (gangliosides
GM1, GD1a, GD1b, etc).  In the past we were able to obtain the corresponding
purified oligosaccharide fragments from the Swedish company Biocarb Chemicals.
For instance we were able to puchase the branched pentasaccharide
corresponding to the characteristic membrane-exterior portion of
ganglioside GM1.  Unfortunately Biocarb is no longer willing to supply
these, so we are looking for an alternate source.

I am aware of the published procedures for partial degradation of the
gangliosides themselves, but do not have the manpower or skills easily
available in my lab to perform this work in-house.  I'd much prefer
to find a commercial source or just contract out the chemistry to someone.

So - can anyone point to either commercial suppliers of these complex
oligosaccharides?  Or recommend can you a company which would produce
them to order?

				thanks for any help,

					Ethan A Merritt
					merritt at u.washington.edu