4-linked Gal

T. Shantha Raju raju at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Feb 23 09:58:31 EST 1995

This is a follow up to Iain's response:

>raju at aecom.yu.edu (T. Shantha Raju) wrote:
>>
>> Dear Everyone:
>>
>> Does anybody knows of any examples of 4-linked Gals in the polylactosamine
>> chains or in N-/O- linked oligosaccharides?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Looking at the responses to this post and comparing them to my
>response, I'm wondering whether Shantha meant Gal substituted at
>the 4 position, or the position to (rather than through) which Gal is
>attached to the previous sugar. But it seems the group has answered
>the question both ways! Good to see follow-ups!
>
>Iain
>Glycosci co-discussion leader
>wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at

More clearly, my question was to address the 4-linked Gal (i.e. Gal
substituted at O-4) and not the Gal(1->4)GlcNAc. I got a very good answer
from Dr. Khoo's response. I take this oppurtunity to thank all those who
responded to my question.

Thanking you all.

T. Shantha Raju
Department of Cell Biology