Searching glycobio databases

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Wed Sep 18 02:49:34 EST 1996

> I'm looking for databases concerning various subjects in the field of
> glycobiology, i.e., oligosaccharide sequences, lectins specificity and
> properties, cristallo datas etc... Is there any specific database for
> saccharides, glycoconjugates or CBP as EMBL or GenBank for proteic
> and/or nucleic data ?
> Thank you for informations

There's nothing so comprehensive yet! The Carbbank database with its
rather antiquated (last time I saw it) DOS interface is quite
complicated to use but does contain information on oligosaccharide
sequences and the references for them. You can get CDs or download a
very large file (70 megabytes or so) from
ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/repository/carbbank/

However, a Glycoscience Hyperglossary is being started through the
Second Electronic Glycoscience Conference - so hopefully in the
coming months an Internet-accessible database will be built up with
the input of the glycoscience community.

Crystallographic data for lectins will be available from the
Brookhaven database - check out http://www.pdb.bnl.gov/

There is also the Cambridge Crystallographic Database:
http://csdvx2.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/

Many internet sites of interest to the glycoscience community are
linked through the Glycoscience Network Homepage at:
http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/TGN/

For an overview of Glycoscience and the Internet - look at a recent
issue of Trends in Glycoscience and Glycotechnology (the bilingual
English-Japanese journal) for an article by Barry Hardy and myself -
vol. 8, no. 42, pp. 301-310 - the article has lots of URLs listed!

Hope this helps you,

Iain

Iain Wilson                       Institut fuer Chemie
Tel: +43-1-36006-6065             Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Fax: +43-1-36006-6059             Muthgasse 18
E-mail: wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at    A-1190, WIEN, Austria
http://www.boku.ac.at/chemie/bc1/staff/iw/iw.html