O-linked sugars

MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Sun Sep 22 20:12:29 EST 1996

We have an antibody (MUD50) that recognises Ser/Thr-O-GlcNAc (beta comformation) in
the context of a PTVT repeat.  It will recognise a single T-GlcNAc and it also
recognises S-GlcNAc, but I am unsure whether the there are other amino acid sequence
constraints on the antibody recognition, eg it may require adjacent proline residues.
Thus, the lack of a reaction with MUD50 might be due to the particular amino acid
sequence.  We would be eager to find out.

Cheers, Martin Slade

>To:            glycosci at net.bio.net
>Subject:       O-linked sugars
>From:          (k.c.breen at dundee.ac.uk)
>Date:          19 Sep 1996 14:38:32 GMT
>
>I would like to check for the presence of Ser/Thr-O-GlcNAc on a protein.
>Looking through the appropiate catalogues, I cannot find a lectin that
>specifically labels this sugar group. I would be grateful if somebody could
>give me details of how I may assay for this particular sugar linkage.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kieran Breen, Dept. of Pharmacology,
>University of Dundee,
>Ninewells Hospital & Medical School,