Specific Viscosity for Glycoaminoglycans

Dana Summers dsummers at mtcnet.net
Tue Oct 21 10:50:11 EST 2003

In reading older articles pertaining to glycoaminoglycans (mucopolysaccharides) (dermatan sulfate, chondroitin sulfate and keratan sulfate) I see some articles talk about  specific viscosity values using an Ostwald viscometer. The question I have is what part of the molecule contributes to the increase or decrease of its viscosity? Is it the D-glucuronate or L-iduronate (uronic molecules) or is it the N-acetylgalactosamine or N-acetylglucosamine (disaccharide units), or is it the core proteins that these molecules are attached to? The reason I ask is a researcher may treat the mucopolysaccharide one way and obtained one viscosity value and then treated it another way and received a higher or lower viscosity value compared to the previous run. What changed to change its viscosity?
Dana