Elodea and O2 generation

Nancy Harrison nanharrison at delphi.com
Sat Apr 8 09:38:40 EST 1995

In our junior college biology class (I am a TA) we are using
Elodea (Anacharis) stuffed into a pipette in a flask of
carbonate solution to generate oxygen under various lite
intensities (wattages).  The experiment depends heavily on the
health of the Elodea.
  Has anyone out there used another water plant besides Elodea
in such a PSN experiment?  We have only about 3 sources of the
plant in our CA town (local pet stores that carry tropical
fish) and they get the plants from Florida.  We never know if
we can get really healthy Elodea..it's the luck of the draw!
And it is not practical for us to send to Florida for it.
  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Have any of you teachers out
there used a better means of showing necessity for O2 in PSN
that results in quantifiable volumes of O2?  ..N. Harrison,
Santa Rosa Jr. College