"Wir verstehen unter Stamm oder Phylum die Gesamtheit aller derjenigen
Organismen, deren Abstammung von einer gemeinsame Stammform aus Grunden
der Anatomie und Entwicklungsgeschichte nicht zweifelhaft sein kann, oder
doch wenigstens in hohem Masse wahrscheinlich ist."
clearly, in coining the term 'monophyly' Haekel intended it to be
indiocative of representing the genealogy of a single tribe in its entirety.
1. Ashlock's etymological rationale is refuted
2. The historical precedent of the term monophyly belongs to Haekel
3. Haekel's recognizing paraphyletic taxa is not evidence of his
intending monophyly to include paraphyly as he also recognized
4. Hennig's use of monophyly is the same as Haekel's.
5. Hennig only recognized monophyletic taxa.
leading to ...
6. There is no foundation for including paraphyly as a subset of monophyly.
7. Holophyly = Monophyly, and the latter has precedence.
Monophyly rules, OK.
Mark E. Siddall "I don't mind a parasite...
mes at vims.edu I object to a cut-rate one"
Virginia Inst. Marine Sci. - Rick
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062