HPS IN CANADA

bhjelle at unm.edu bhjelle at unm.edu
Sat Sep 3 15:46:07 EST 1994

In article <348upv$hri at www.interramp.com>,  <knunan at .interramp.com> wrote:

>Would you care to elaborate on the culture of the southwest
>and how it has resulted in the emergence of this new (to
>scientists, at least) variant of hantaan virus and the
>increased populations of deer mice? And no, I dont have a

See Annals of Internal Medicine (May, 1994) for a well-
documented (western blot-confirmed) case of HPS from
1975. Its not at all new. We recently diagnosed another
old case (1985).

>culture to the virus.  And please dont tell me that the squalid
>conditions on the Indian reservations where the virus first
>appeared includes the presence of deer mice in the Indians'
>homes; how does culture result in the virus having
>waited until 1989-90 to make its appearance?

Again, it is not new. It is newly recognized.
It also is not specific to "southwestern culture",
as cases in Canada, Rhode Island, Florida, Montana,
South America, etc, etc thoroughly demonstrate.
I believe the reason that Indians are at greater
risk is related to the rural lifestyles of
people on the reservations. Deer mice rarely are
found in urban areas, where the overwhelming majority
of non-Indians live in the U.S.

Brian