fever and chickenpox

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. Bernstein at WSU-ID.Dayton.OH.US
Thu Sep 15 23:55:29 EST 1994

In article <cupton.1129981655E at ra.uvic.ca> cupton at sol.uvic.ca ( Chris Upton) writes:
>From: cupton at sol.uvic.ca ( Chris Upton)
>Subject: fever and chickenpox
>Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 01:53:35 GMT

>Hi, does anyone have any info regarding the detrimental effect of
>fever-reducing drugs in the recovery of viral diseases?
>Somewhere, I'm sure I saw jsut this about chickenpox!

>Thanks,
>   Chris

>Chris Upton
>Biochemistry & Microbiology
>University of Victoria
>PO Box 3055, Victoria
>BC, Canada   V8W 3P6

>(604)721-6507
>(604)721-8855 fax

The comment re: aspirin is correct. Otherwise, there is really no adverse
event from fever reducing medications. The usual caveat is to use the meds
only when the patient is uncomfortable. Thus, tylenol for a fever of 38C may
not be needed or appropriate.