modest proposal

Luis Branco branco at ent.umass.edu
Wed Sep 28 16:28:18 EST 1994

     With all due respect to those who took the time to become involved
and replied to the "modest proposal" is it maybe about time we let go?
I think that we all subscribed to the virology net to exchange important
information among virologists, regarding virology, in a civilized fashion.
Since mistakes are a great way to learn, maybe the coordinators of the
virology net ought to restrict access of postings only to those that present
a return e-mail address, as has been proposed.  It just gets a bit boring
and old when I read several messages a day regarding this issue.  The
individual responsible for the posting obtained the exact response
he/she was looking for, which was to get everybody upset over the proposal
to the point that constant discussion and subsequent cluttering of the net
resulted.  I would rather eliminate postings of that nature alltogether.  It
is much more enjoyable to read inquiries pertaining to REAL virology issues.
That is after all the real purpose of this service, is it not???

Sincerely,

          Luis Branco
                               Luis M. Branco
                 Departments of Microbiology and Entomology
                           Morrill Science Center
                           Section IV North, Rm 2
                        University of Massachusetts
                          Amherst, MA. 01003-5720