Multiplicity of retrovirus infection and integration?

Paul Kowalski kowalski at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:00:17 EST 1999

Hi -

does any bionetter know of any papers discussing how often a given human
or mouse cell can be infected by a integrative retrovirus? I.e. if you
put 1 cell in a dish with a million retroviruses, how many integrations
would you see? Also, I'm thinking of retroviral vectors here, so
resistance to superinfection wouldn't be a issue. I've seen a paper from
JC Burns group (Methods Cell Biol 1994;43 Pt A:99-112 ) mentioning that
the env pseudotype matters- that generally cells infected with a high
MOI of amphotropic virus only get 1 integration/cell, but they saw up to
4 integrations/cell with a VSV-G pseudotype, which they chalked up to
the higher titers of VSV-retrovirus.

If anyone knows any other literature regarding this, I'd really
appreciate knowing! Thanks in advance-

Paul Kowalski
Postdoctoral Fellow - Genetics Dept.
Stanford University School of Medicine