is marriage a career advantage

David Lindahl d92dl at efd.lth.se
Wed Aug 25 06:26:00 EST 1993

Yesterday, 24  Aug, I  read an  article  posted 19   Aug
in  which a  woman  wrote about the  swedish  laws  of
parental  leave  (What on earth  would  be the correct
english here?)  that enables parents to   stay  home  with
  the  small  children   for  a while. Unfortunately my
station  went down  while  I  was  responding.  So  I lost
 the name  of  the  Author, including  the article,
otherwise I would have  mailed  her in  person.

It  might   interest  you  to   know  that  a  new  law
is  currently being  issued that states  that out  of  the
twelve months available  to parents  the father must use
a minimum  of  three.  This   to  enable  women to  get
back   to  work  faster.  The  reason  for  this is  well
known.  Employers  are   less  intersted  in young  women
because  they  will  (probably)  get  pregnant.  If  the
absence  is divided  equally  between   the  parents
the  employers will  look  for  the   best  employee
rather than  the best male  employee.

 Usual  Disclaimers
 David Lindahl