girls and K-12 science education

Sheila Gay Buzzee buzz at wccf.mit.edu
Mon Jan 18 10:59:00 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan17.174145.1 at max.u.washington.edu>, wijsman at max.u.washington.edu writes...
>Dear netters -

>I would like to solicit discussion in THIS newsgroup on the topic of
>how we get and keep more girls in the pipeline...

I have just participated in a study here at MIT concerning this topic.  It
seems that the single biggest factor in our group was having encouraging
parents.  None of the women in the study group (all of us were graduate
students or Post-Docs in science) had parents who failed to ACTIVELY encourage
the pursuit of science.

Many of us also had very encouraging teachers, but often as not there was an
adversarial relationship with elementary school teachers.  The teachers tended
to tell girls they couldn't do well in science and the parents encouraged the
girls to "show them".

As far as how teachers can improve the fraction of girls who choose to pursue
scientific study, I say encourage them.  Stop expecting them to fail.  Call on
them in class.  Grade them exactly along the same standards as the boys.
Expect the best and they will perform for you.  Listen to them when they have
questions.  Encourage their input.  Very simple, really, but I can't ever
remember a grade-school science teacher doing any of those things for me.
They just told me to be quiet, called on the boys, and left me on my own.  It
was Dad, who always encouraged me, who made sure that I kept interested and
motivated to study science.

One good thing to do for children- subscribe to scientific magazines that are
at or just above their level of comprehension.  They should be written with a
young audience in mind but challenging.  Science Digest is also one that many
kids can read and get a kick out of, even though it is not produced with
children in mind.  Publications are a very good way to broaden horizons
and elevate interest in a fun atmoshpere.

Buzz