What I want to do when I get my PhD?

Diane Stothard dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jan 18 15:43:43 EST 1993

Hi out there!
     I just passed my oral exam on Friday (What A Relief!) and now I am faced
with the prospect of what to do next. Assuming I continue my research and get
my PhD in two years or so, I have no idea what I want to do with the degree
once I get it!? I know that I do not want to teach...I have no patience. Maybe
some of you accomplished scientists out there can give me a good idea. I would
like to stay in the field of genetics, but I work on the bacterium Rickettsia
which causes disease in man. I assume that could open me up to prospects in
microbiology, immunology and even something like EPA or CDC. I would also like
to stay in the mid-west, however, but I'm not sure what's out there. Any advice
or names to contact (from women and/or men) would be much appreciated!
     Also, I continue to be concerned about the atmosphere for women in this
area of research. I have heard that Math and Chem tend to be more hostile than
Bio but I don't have anything but hear say to go on. Again, any insight would
be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Diane Stothard
dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu