IUBio GIL .. BIOSCI/Bionet News .. Biosequences .. Software .. FTP

Exposure in Labs (help)

P. Ford PXF3 at psuvm.psu.edu
Mon Jun 20 06:08:03 EST 1994

I'm just browsing here, but I want to mention two things you should do: Go
to a doctor so that there will be a record of your exposure/injury.  This is
very important because effects might not show up for several (many?) years.
(Aside: when I was in college, I had an injury to my neck that I thought was
minor so I didn't bother to go to the doctor.  Twenty years later, scar
tissue had built up and it's not minor at all.  If I had reported it,
someone else would be paying for my phsyical therapy.)

This leads to my second point: by allowing such a neanderthal to be in
charge of the lab, your college has allowed inself to be liable for injuries
caused by poor instruction in lab safety.  I would write a letter to the
editor of the school paper expressing my disappointment.  Then I would get
my applications for transfer to another college in the mail ASAP.  Why?  Two
reasons: I would not want to be attend a school that has so little regard
for the safety of its students, and I would guess that by pointing this out
publicly I would be labelled a troublemaker.

Good luck.  PF

More information about the Womenbio mailing list

Send comments to us at archive@iubioarchive.bio.net