Women scientists in fiction

Trina Roberts troberts at husc7.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 3 22:55:50 EST 1995

I know there is at least one novel (mystery) by Tony Hillerman with a
female anthropologist in it.  Also, in the first and last of Anne
McCaffrey's "Pern" books (_Dragonsdawn_ and possibly _The Weyrs of Pern_)
many women are important scientists, including a geneticist who engineers
the dragons themselves.  I suspect there are some in the short stories
and novels of Ursula K. LeGuin, but I can't think of any names off the top of
my head.  One of P.D. James's mysteries has a woman as one of the
administrators of a nuclear power plant.

I apologize for the lack of titles, but I am at school and my books are not.

Trina Roberts
troberts at fas.harvard.edu