More thoughts on Mrs. Murry

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Thu Jan 5 13:40:29 EST 1995

ravena at CCO.CALTECH.EDU (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:

>In fact, as I got older and read some of L'Engle's other books,
>it started to get annoying that all the characters were geniuses ...

Yup.  I remember being inspired and frustrated as a child, reading
about those lucky kids who got to enjoy summers at Woods Hole (?).
Other books by her, for adult audiences, have the same "aren't we
just too perfect" smug, fatuous characters.  I consider this to be
a flaw in the character of Ms. L'Engle.  ;-)

I paid far more attention to what the kids did, than to how stuck
up their author was (just like some mothers I knew!), because I
desperately wanted to go places and make scientific discoveries,
like they did.  And now I have exactly that sort of life, and it
is just as wonderful as I imagined it would be.  Taking a mental
trip to the late Cretaceous, 65+ million years ago, and *seeing*
what lived there then, beats any fantasy adventure that I've ever
read.

Karen, weren't we at college together (tiger, tiger)?  What are
you doing now at CalTech?  Drop me some e-mail, especially if you
ever get over here to the east coast!

	Una Smith		una.smith at yale.edu

Dept. of Biology, Yale Univ., New Haven, CT  06520-8104