equal pay

Cathy Quinones quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU
Fri Jan 27 18:29:26 EST 1995

In article <barb-270195123420 at bal.biochem.wisc.edu> barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu (Barb Lewis) writes:
>In article <199501262256.OAA11474 at netcomsv.netcom.com>,
>dmoregan at genpharm.com ("Donna Munoz O'Regan") wrote:
>
>> From time to time, there are articles written about how women are paid less than
>> our male counterparts and that this occurs in every field.  Now, my question
>> isn't whether this occurs or doesn't occur wherever you may be, but how do you
>> address it if you are in the market?  I'm not looking now, it's just something
>> some of my friends were discussing and I'm not proposing this question as a
>> means to start a big flame session, but rather a constructive discussion of what
>> we can do to prevent it from happening to us whenever we might be looking for a
>> job next.
>
>If one is talking about lower pay *within* a field, I think a major problem
>is that women tend to have a harder time negotiating salaries than do many
>men. We have been so well socialized to be "nice" and "unselfish", and we
>worry that people will dislike us for seeming greedy. (Whereas many men are
>socialized to believe that their personal worth is partly indicated by
>their salary.) It's probably worse among scientist types, since we tend to
>be idealistic and think that we are working for the love of science, rather
>than "just" for money.

This is the premise of a book called "The Smart Woman's Guide to
Interviewing and Salary Negotiation" by Julie Adair King (ISBN# 1-56414-055-5)
(($11.95, Career Press.  phone # 1-800-CAREER-1).  {This book is a sequel
to the Smart Woman's series and the other books are called "The Smart Woman's
Guide to Career Success" and "The Smart Woman's GUide to Resumes and
Job Hunting").

I just got this book, read it, and thought it was a good investment.
Granted, it is not geared at how to find a job in academia, but its
recommendations can definitely be applied to such a job search.  Basically,
the book stresses the key aspect of the job search (and future job
negotiations): that the company is out to get a financial gain, and it is
up to the employee to show he/she is capable of performing in such a way
that the company will benefit.  In other words, you should't say that you
"want a job that will make me grow" because what the interviewer wants to
hear is "I can make your company grow, and this is how I can do it..."

The other take-home message of the book is: prepare yourself!  Prepare for
the interview, research the employer, rehearse for the interview(s), follow
up on the interview.  Once the job is offered, know what the going
salaries for a  person of your qualifications are, and negotiate within
those parameters.  Once the job is yours, set goals, make your superior
know when those goals are reached, and discuss job advancement and pay
raises.  And get it all in writing ;)

The book also has lots of tips about interviewing (such as how to
diplomatically answer potentially discriminatory questions such as "Do you
plan to have any children?" or "How many children do you have?" Hint: the
answer is not "That is none of your %&$^#*@( business, you %&*&#(@"
--which is what I would be tempted to answer!--... the author suggests
the right answer is one that lets your employer know your career is
very central in your life and won't be affected, and/or that your private life
has so far not interfered with your profession and you don't forsee it
doing so in the future, so, can we get back to discussing this position?).

I will admit I am a 100% naive person when it comes to the job market: I am
still in school... but graduation looms in the future and I have started
doing a bit of research.  This book was a wonderful place to start, I think
the author has made a valuable contribution.

While on this topic, has anybody got other recommendations on such useful
books?  Where did you learn "the tricks of the trade" (I mean, how to get
a job and how to keep it, and be happy at it!)?

--
////// /\_/\_____   \\  /// quinones at biology.ucsc.edu ////////////////