help needed for woman changing fields

edjorgensen at delphi.com edjorgensen at delphi.com
Fri Jan 27 20:11:02 EST 1995

DR. JANIS YOUNG <janyoung at news.holonet.net> writes:

>The subject is not as posted above but is about a 30 year old womnan who
>has recently asked me to help her locate a position in molecular genetics.
> she is a psychiatric nurse who has gone back to school and wants
>to work in her new field of study.  Where
>should I direct her?  She has sent me her resume.

This is a toughie.  I recently made the mistake of expressing the opinion (in
the bionet.jobs group) that it was easier for an MA, MS or BA to get a job than
a Ph.D.  I got a flood of responses from people who were fresh out of school
(and some who had exp
erience) and unable to find a job. Your friend has an interesting background-
perhaps she can capitalize on her previous knowledge as well.  Any ideas out
there on careers which would utilize her expertise in both areas?

Ellen D. Jorgensen, Ph.D.
Director of Scientific Affairs
Albert B. Sabin Vaccine Foundation
New Canaan, CT