Was: equal pay, Now: job hunting

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 10:19:07 EST 1995

When I was finishing up graduate school I decided to check out the
services available at the student placement office on campus (this was at
Duke University). I found that although the focus of the office is to help
undergraduates land jobs, mainly in the for-profit sector, I was able to
get some good advice on my resume, how to market my skills, how to
negotiate salary, etc. The counselor I worked with had little experience
in working with someone at the Ph.D. level who was trying to land a job
outside of academia, but the "generic" knowledge she had about how to do a
job search combined with my willingness and ability to research the fields
I was interested in turned out to be a winning combination. It's work a
try, especially if you're looking for something that is outside of your
mentor or advisor's professional network.

Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation
Rockville, Maryland