Tolerance/was: bjford: who

Mary L. Tod mtod at umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Sun Jan 29 17:40:00 EST 1995

On 26 Jan 1995 kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk wrote:

> Last I heard this was about women in biology. Who is Brian Ford (I don't think
> I *really* want to know) and why is he on this line?
>
> Dr. Katherine J. Kaye
> kkaye at vax.ox.ac.uk

I am new to this newsgroup, but quickly became very uncomfortable with
the sentiment expressed in this post.  I had not seen the previous
postings by bjford, but I have a lot of trouble understanding why the
gender of the poster should matter.  There is much to be gained from
allowing EVERYONE, regardless of gender, race, or religious beliefs, to
express their opinions.  This is what can make a truly great
multi-cultural society such a fascinating place to observe and learn.  If
there are opinions with which one doesn't agree, then one may voice that
disagreement, but should not censor the opinion from being heard (read)
by others whose tolerance may not be so narrow.  If you truly find what
bjford has to say offensive to you, then just skip his postings and dn't
read them.  I for one welcome ideas from all sources, then I can decide
for myself those opinions that I will investigate or think about in
more depth.  It's a little bit like reviewing the scientific literature -
one should keep an open mind until proven otherwise.

Food for thought,
Mary