Tolerance/was: bjford: who

Cathy Quinones quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU
Sun Jan 29 23:17:10 EST 1995

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.950129172856.35715A-100000 at umabnet.ab.umd.edu> "Mary L. Tod" <mtod at umabnet.ab.umd.edu> writes:
>On 26 Jan 1995 kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> Last I heard this was about women in biology. Who is Brian Ford (I don't think
>> I *really* want to know) and why is he on this line?
>>
>> Dr. Katherine J. Kaye
>> kkaye at vax.ox.ac.uk
>>
>I am new to this newsgroup, but quickly became very uncomfortable with
>the sentiment expressed in this post.  I had not seen the previous

I have subscribed to this group for a while now.  It seems like whenever
any poster (with a name usually given to males) posts more than a couple
times, some poster (with a name usually given to females) produces the
proverbial "can't you see the word WOMEN in the group name?  Butt out!!"  I
find this annoying and disturbing.

As long as the discussion isn't DOMINATED by male posters, in a way that
the voices of female posters are obscured or ridiculed, I am very happy to
hear those opinions.  The workplace will continue to have members of both
sexes, and, as amazing as the concept may sound to some, we may gain insight
from the comments of male posters.  Not all men out there are sexist
assholes, and not all women out there are vessels of endless wisdom.  Some
of the men who read this group do so because they have wives, partners,
sisters, friends and mothers who are woking in the field of biology (or
science or technology) and are sincerely interested in understanding the
pressures women deal with on a daily basis.  Telling them to shut up
and go away is (to my eyes) as offensive as having someone tell one of us
"don't worry your pretty head about that..."

I can definitely see the allure of a women-only newsgroup.  However, this is
not a private medium, it is a very public one, and as such, exclusionary
measures aren't going to work (in particular, because the group is
unmoderated).  Even if only a few women are posting, hundreds or (most likely)
thousands of people, of both sexes, read what appears here.  I think that
anyone who wants to make these discussions "for women's ears only" will be
better served by starting a mailing list, or even more fun, by going out
with the gals for a few beers, or dinner, or whatever.

--
////// /\_/\_____   \\  /// quinones at biology.ucsc.edu ////////////////