spelling....knowledge

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 17 07:57:07 EST 1997

I second everything that's been said on this thread and others.  The
school where I teach has a large number of re-entry students.  I genuinely
enjoy advising and teaching them, because they are more focused and
motivated than many of the 20-year-olds. Despite their worries that their
time out of the educational system will hurt them, often they do better in
their classes.  (Particularly organic and biochem, which are the major
bust courses for nutrition students.)

A major problem I see with undergrads is the perception that a college
education, in and of itself, should guarantee them a comfy salary for
life.  If this were so, there should be no anthro or English majors
driving cabs or waiting tables.  I really lambaste students whose first
question about jobs in nutrition is, "What kind of salary can you make?"

And BTW, I've always corrected spelling, grammar and usage on student
papers.  I haven't been as stringent in docking student papers for lapses
in above, but that could change.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller