ethics

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 17 12:42:20 EST 1997

After reading all these complaints about unethical students, I feel as if
some balance is needed here.

Has anyone considered the tone that the professor sets in the class, and
takes towards the students?  People seem to be complaining a lot about
how awful it is to be considered nit-picky and a tough grader, etc.  But
how clear are the rules made, beforehand?  A Chemistry professor acquaintance
of mine was just recently complaining about a "registered dyslexic" student.
This student had protested that his mis-spelling of the word "fluorine"
(as "flourine") shouldn't be marked "wrong," and he "got away with it"
because he was a registered dyslexic.  The professor referred to the idea
that dyslexics should be given any special consideration as a "scam," and
angrily declared that the whole thing should be abolished.  He pointed out
that many non-dyslexic students had also gotten it "
wrong," and seemed to take a certain amount of glee from that fact (the
stupid students don't even know how to spell "Fluorine"--what is our
nation's youth coming to, etc. etc. etc.?).  But did he ever make a point
to tell the students that fluorine is spelled in this unusual way?  Did
he ever tell them that this was going to be important?  No, of course not.
"They should just know that."  I know that the only reason I remember
the spelling myself is that I once saw someone else (a female secretary)
being publicly humiliated by a male professor for getting that same
spelling wrong.  Her humiliation did make quite an impression on me, but
really, isn't there a better way to teach these things than getting mad
at people who don't know something when they didn't have a very good reason
to have learned it in the first place?

In the institution where I was an undergrad, we had an "honor code,"
where the students were suppposed to report other students for cheating.
Someone reported me for something I didn't do.  Fortunately, the system
worked, the evidence wasn't there, and I ended up not being formally
accused of anything, but I had several sleepless nights, fearing expulsion
and the ruination of my academic career for something that I didn't do,
charges brought up by an unidentified accuser.  I dreaded even going to
the class for a few days, wondering who it might have been, wondering if
it was someone with an axe to grind or a grudge against me.  I never found
out who it was.

I've also heard a couple of stories from undergrads who've been working in
labs with me about overzealous professors--one who hauled a student into
his office for "cheating," threatened to fail him and/or expel him, all
over the positioning of his backpack during an exam.  I know it's sometimes
hard to know who to believe, but in that case, I believed the student.
He had behaved ethically in lab, and the professor was known to be a bully.

One person on this thread also mentioned a professor who gave the same
problems year after year, who didn't really put in the time himself for
the class.  That reminded me of some physics labs I took that were, for
the students, a time marathon.  There were no written lab reports later,
instead, one's notebook was graded.  One ended up rushing through the thing
in the three hours allotted, trying to finish it.  That may have kept
"cheating" to a minimum, but it didn't very well simulate what goes on
in the lab.

I'm sorry this is so rambling, but I seem to have a different perspective
from a lot of people on this thread.  In summary, it seems to me that
both students and teachers would be better served by explicitly spelling
out what the students need to know (i.e. "Fluroine" is spelled F-L-U-O)
beforehand, rather than trying to "catch" them in a mistake on a test.
And that professors also play a role in creating an "us against them"
atmosphere in the classroom, that I see as playing a role in encouraging
cheating.  Out and out copying is of course wrong, but working together
is something that happens in science all the time.  It seems rather
artificial to force everyone to work alone and penalize them for plagarism
if they work together.  I think that systems that encourage people to
"rat on their friends," (i.e. honor codes with clauses that students should
turn each other in) are pretty problematic--again, they seem to foster
distrust and an us-against-them attitude.  Isn't it possible to give
assignments that require and structure the students' working together,
and that are enough work that no one has time to merely "copy" the
assignment off of somebody else?

Karen

The climate that these adversarial, sometimes draconian, measures against
cheating can create doesn't seem very healthy, honestly.

Isn't there some room for treating students with respect, spelling out
exactly what is expece