courses for grad students

C. Boake cboake at utk.edu
Fri Nov 21 13:48:35 EST 1997

In article <EJx3B3.3Iw at nonexistent.com>, kwheless at rockland.net (Karen
Wheless) wrote:

> > I wonder what your thoughts are on requiring courses for grad students.
> >  I seem to be the minority of this faculty in thinking that a
> > <<minimum>> number of courses should be required but that many should
> > be offered.
>
> On the other hand, if the courses aren't required, there will be some
> advisors who say, "it's not required, so I don't want you spending the
> time away from the lab to take a class that won't directly benefit your
> research".  I like the idea of having a certain number of credits
> required, but the actual courses flexible.

In Ecology & Evolutionary Biology at Univ. of Tenn., we require certain
core graduate-level courses which cover about 50% of the total number of
credit hours required by the Graduate School for a Master's degree (we do
not distinguish between MS and PhD in terms of the nature of the basic
course requirements).  The courses include 2 lecture courses, a choice of
2 out of 4 "foundations" classes (classic papers in 4 fields), and a year
of statistics.  I think this blend of requirements and flexibility works
quite well.

--Chris