science vs religion

Linnea Ista lkista at unm.edu
Sat Feb 6 16:57:17 EST 1999

Well, it depends on WHICH creation story you are talking about!!! :-) :-)
The garden of eden, Shiva dancing the world into existance, Grandmother
Spider and her daughters singing it into existance, or the Rainbow Snake
dreaming the earth into existance?   Each would present a unique
challenge to integrate with evolution.

I think the important thing here is to point out that science is a process
of discovery and there are some things that science cannot address -such
as the existance or non existance of a deity.

I don't know if you want to get into this or not, but religion tends to
deal in symbols, whereas science in measurable fact.

You may also want to refer them to the Orgin of Species. In it Darwin
clearly states that he is explaining a method by which God created the
diversity of life we see! That's why I don't understand this bumper
sticker I see a lot that shows a gravestone with the slogan "Now even
Darwin knows".

Good luck!
Linnea