What is important in preparing slides for presentations

Sabine Dippel S.Dippel at pfh.research.philips.com
Sat Feb 13 12:32:05 EST 1999

Hi,

I know that this issue was discussed here a while ago, but I did not
pay too much attention - too bad, now I wish I had.

I have recently moved from a scientific area where it was perfectly
acceptable to use hand-written overhead transparencies for talks to
one where quite often slides are used. So in fact, my question relates
less to the questions of how to structure a talk (I have given enough
to know), but is rather the perfectly technical question of how to
estimate the size of text etc., what colours (dark on bright background,
or rather the typical yellow on dark blue) to use, what technical
problems in handling the slides "on site" I should expect, etc.
In the particular talk I am preparing right now, I know nothing of
the size of the room, i.e. how far the projector will be from the
screen. Are there any rules what the smallest "safe" (i.e. readable)
size is?

I appreciate any suggestions,

Sabine, a theoretical physicist who now has to handle a mixed audience
of computer scientiests, medical researchers and doctors