Long hours, families

S L Forsburg notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 12:28:05 EST 2000

> I think that in *any* career, there will be a number of years where you
> have to really put in the hours/effort to succeed. Unfortunately, in
> science, it seems to be that this type of life never comes to an end --
> its more grants, more work, more grants, more work.

Yes indeed.  The higher I go, the less time I have.  The system does
not allow time for anything else and what few outside interests
I held on to through grad school and postdoc have been nearly
obliterated by six years on the faculty.

The argument isn't simply a conflict betweeh "job" and "family" which
most people read as "children".  It's a conflict between "science"
and anything else.

Perhaps it is just a feature of my advancing years that I find this
so much more tiring.

It's also important that we remember that the issues
affecting women in science go far beyond children.  There is a
tendency on the part of everyone to reduce it to "well, it's
difficult for her because she has a family", when that's only
one of many reasons "she" finds it difficult.

Not having children does not solve our problems.

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab